Saturday, April 17, 2021

Final Reflection

As our project comes to an end, I wanted to provide a brief reflection of this project. 

From the start, Colin and I knew our topic of cultural and dual identity, because the topic was something personal to us. We understood that the experience of learning an ethnicity, while not being in the country, is an experience that greatly affects ones personal identity. Also, this experience is very common in Generation Z, which made this topic easy to achieve. Therefore, we decided to use this topic, before the project even started. In terms of choosing a documentary package, we felt that our performance in our documentary school project was proof that the documentary package would be the best for us. Also, we liked that we had to create a 5 minute excerpt, and not the entire documentary. This alleviated a lot of stress from Colin and I in the beginning, and gave us confidence that we can complete the project to the best of our abilities, with the time given. Colin and I have worked on AICE Media Studies projects for almost 2 years, so we have developed a great synergy and partnership, which gave me confidence that we could complete a good final project. 

With our actual documentary, we decided to rely heavily on our interviewees experience. The content of our entire series was to establish a history of immigration, interviewees who have learned their ethnic culture from America, the effects of this experience, and how they maintain their culture. We structured our episodes in that way, and decided to create an excerpt from the first episodes. With this structure, we thought getting the perspectives of our multi- cultural peers would be necessary. We picked our 5 interviewees, who were from the 5 major continents around the world. This was an explicit choice, to reveal the differences in the establishments of collective identities there are, based on how long the culture was present in America after people immigrated. In retrospect, we should have given more attention to other parts of the documentary, and establish a distinct structure to follow from the beginning. This would have made the process of organizing and editing easier for Colin and I 

In terms of the magazine and social media, we decided to split up the tasks. Colin is experience in magazine and article writing, so working on the magazine was a relatively easy process for him. He was able to produce a quality product, that included everything we needed. I was in charge of creating the social media, and decided to make the concept like a scrapbook. I felt it fit the topic of the documentary, which involved peoples personal stories, and their development of their personal identity. This structure of the social media evoked a sense of chronology and series of memories, that our documentary is trying to display. I feel happy with the result, and think it came out well. 

I cannot believe this project is over, but I am happy with where my project. I always feel things could be done better( just my personality), but I am so happy with how many interviewees we got, and the representation we could create in those moments. I hope you enjoy as much as I did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Creative Critical Reflection For the past 8 weeks, I have worked on my AICE Media Studies A Level project, "________ American", wi...